What Do We Mean By New World Whiskies?
Whisky is being distilled in continents worldwide, but what do we mean when we say “New World Whisky”?
The term is used as a catch-all for the growing production of whiskies outside of the traditional markets of Scotland, Ireland, Canada, Japan, and the U.S. (e.g., Australia, India). Or it can also be a fresh style of whisky emanating from a country with a long history of production (e.g., American single malt).
How New World Whisky is different from Traditional Ones?
Casks make the difference:
Unlike Scotch, which is totally aged in American and European Oak casks, New World Whisky is aged in several different casks:
● They make use of previously used barrels like - mead, pomegranate wine, and 150-year-old beer barrels).
● Alternative wood types such as ‘Frankencasks’ to Birch and Russian Oak. They can also use a mixture of timbers from different sources.
Thus, casks play the most vital role in the tone and flavor of the ultimate product.
Why don’t we see new world whiskies very often in the Major Markets?
Many new world whiskies are hard to find in the Major Markets for a number of reasons.
● They may have limited production.
● Most of the whiskies are sold in the home markets by the producers themselves.
● Many new world whisky distilleries are comparatively young and are unable to produce high-quality whisky fit for export.
Many aim for a 'farm to bottle' strategy, utilizing local barley and water sources to deliver terroir to the fore. Some even strive to produce everything in-house to ensure an exceptional result as they own their barley fields, handle their estate water sources, and even bottle on-site. Due to their boutique nature and ability to make such unique and limited releases, new bottles often sell out before release.
So where can you find new world whiskies?
When new world whiskies make their way to major markets, they usually end up in large cities. Costly whisky bars typically have a good selection of world whiskies. If you’re seeking whiskies from a specific country, look for high-end restaurants that offer that country’s culture. If you don’t stay near a large city, you can buy some world whiskies online.